Gir National Park
Gir National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary, also known as Sasan Gir, is a forest and wildlife sanctuary near Talala Gir in Gujarat, India. It is located 43 km (27 mi) north-east of Somnath, 65 km (40 mi) south-east of Junagadh and 60 km (37 mi) south-west of Amreli. It was established in 1965, with a total area of 1,412 km2 (545 sq mi), of which 258 km2 (100 sq mi) is fully protected as national park and 1,153 km2 (445 sq mi) as wildlife sanctuary. It is part of the Kathiawar-Gir dry deciduous forests ecoregion.
In the 19th century, the rulers of Indian princely states used to invite the British colonists for hunting expeditions. At the end of the 19th century, only about a dozen Asiatic lions were left in India, all of them in the Gir Forest, which was part of the Nawab of Junagarh’s private hunting grounds. Today, it is the only area in Asia, where Asiatic lions occur, and is considered one of the most important protected areas in Asia due to its supported species. The Gir ecosystem with its diverse flora and fauna is protected as a result of the efforts of the government forest department, wildlife activists and NGOs. However, faced with a drastic drop in the lion population in Gir, after British viceroys brought to his attention the plight of the lion in Asia, the sanctuary is the jewel of Gujarat’s ecological resources. His son, Nawab Muhammad Mahabat Khan III later assisted in the conservation of the lions whose population had plummeted to only 20 through slaughter for trophy hunting.
The 14th Asiatic Lion Census 2015 was conducted in May 2015. In 2015, the population has been 523 (27% up compared to previous census in 2010). The population was 411 in 2010 and 359 in 2005. The population of lions in Junagadh District has been 268, Gir Somnath District has been 44, Amreli District has been 174 (highest increase) and Bhavangar District has been 37. There are 109 males, 201 females and 213 young/cubs.
Day 01 : Arrival at Gir National Park
Day 02 : Adventure Safari
Day 03 : Departure After the Last Adventure
1. These packages are customizable, which means that changes can be done to the itinerary/activity, if you desire so. The final payment will be calculated as per the changes made in the itinerary which will be outlined in the confirmatory e-mail sent to you.
2. We do not bear the responsibility of refund for any unused accommodation, missed meals, transportation segments, sightseeing tours or any other service. Such unused items are neither refundable nor exchangeable.
3. Cancellation charges will be effective from the date we receive advice in writing, and cancellation charges would be as follows:
- 31 Days or more before departure - 50% of the Tour / service cost
- Less than 30 days before departure - Non Refundable
Written cancellation will accept on all working days, except Sunday, Any cancellation sent on Sunday's will be considered on next working day (Monday)./ service cost 30 days prior to arrival: Non Refundable.